Healthy People, Empowered Communities
USAID Health System Strengthening Grant – Kenya
Kenya AIDS NGOs Consortium (KANCO) is a national membership network of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Faith based Organization (FBOs), PLHIV support organizations, learning institutions, public and private organizations addressing HIV, TB, Malaria Health & Community System Strengthening and other public health concerns including immunization, ECD, Nutrition and sexual reproductive health and rights among others. KANCO mission is to improve the health and well-being of communities through capacity building and innovative leadership.
KANCO is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party to support an anticipated USAID-funded Health Systems strengthening project in Kenya. This will be a contract position pending award from USAID
KANCO is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party to lead the anticipated USAID-funded Health Systems Strengthening Project in Kenya. The 5-year project will focus on providing support to strengthen health leadership and governance and health systems for quality and equitable service delivery.
Summary of the Position
The Deputy Chief of Party will provide overall technical vision and leadership, assisting the Chief of Party in overseeing the design and implementation of the USAID Kenya Health System Strengthening Activity. The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will work under the Chief of Party and support the overall USAID HSS project performance, management, and execution, ensuring all project deliverables including the budgets are met. The DCOP will support the day-to-day project work and staff, oversees project implementation to ensure quality of health system programming. S/he Responsible for providing leadership and overall management of a multi-disciplinary team to implement integrated health and health systems strengthening solutions to achieve project goals and objectives.
The DOP in collaboration with the COP will Provide leadership and oversight for areas such as Finance, Operations, M&E, Reporting and Human Resource for successful implementation of the project and will lead the coordination with partners, as well as the Government of Kenya, civil society, private sector and others.
S/he will be responsible for communications with USAID to publicly represent the project and to establish contacts with government institutions and other stakeholders. The COP will be responsible for ensuring that all project interventions are of high quality and have a measurable impact.
Actual hiring is contingent upon successful activity award and USAID approval.
- Support the Chief of Party in overseeing the quality, cost-effectiveness, and timeliness of performance of all HSS project work to ensure meeting objectives and targets.
- Keep the Chief of Party apprised regarding issues of program management and implementation and serve as the Principal Assistant to the Chief of Party to resolve such issues.
- Provide technical leadership and supervision under the guidance of COP of all project activities, including sub-awardees and project personnel
- Assists in the management of the project in all respects particularly, communications of project information and results to the donor, the government of Kenya, project partners, and stakeholders to allow for informed decision making.
- Assists in preparation of critical project documents including action plans, annual work plans progress reports, Project Management Plans and budgets.
- Oversees responses to ad-hoc information requests from the donor, host Government, National and County counterparts, and COP.
- Liaise with the donor and host Government counterparts to ensure strong relationships.
- Coordinates with the National and County Technical Teams in the implementation of the HSS project
- Oversees all project activities to capture data on indicators and to identify best practices and lessons learned as required by USAID.
- Coordinate Monitoring, evaluations and learning including documentation with project team
- Ensure project harmony amongst project staff, consortium partners and/or sub-partners.
- Support the COP in project planning responsibilities, including the production of annual workplans and budgets and performance monitoring plan, ensuring alignment of the budget to expected results and ensuring cost-effective use of resources
- Liaise with relevant National and County Ministry of Health counterparts and key stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with USAID award
- Support monitoring visits to grantee programs.
- Ensure the development and implementation of key project deliverables, including the Monitoring and Evaluation and learning (MLE) plans.
- Ensure visibility of project results, achievements, and lessons learned through presentations at planned partner meetings conferences and workshops and/or by publishing articles through professional journals.
- Together with COP and project staff, prepare annual budgets and supervise regular financial reporting; keep USAID appraised of significant variances.
- A Master’s degree in public policy and management, public health, management, or social sciences from a recognized University.
- Twelve (10) years of experience managing at a similar level or senior technical advisor level in donor funded programs of similar scope in Kenya or a developing country.
- Experience in managing USG contracts and agreements mastery of USAID regulations governing such programs.
- Experience overseeing sub-awardees to achieve project results
- Experience, Knowledge and skills in health systems strengthening, health service delivery, and linkages between communities and health facilities
- Proven ability to forge strong professional relationships and facilitate coordination with donors, implementing partners, county governments, health facilities, and communities in the public and private sectors
- Experience in capacity building and working with the public and private health sectors, especially with County Governments
- Demonstrated experience leading teams to achieve successful project implementation, financial management, and reporting
- Experience overseeing development and implementation of M&E and knowledge management strategies relevant to public health projects
- Strong leadership, program, organizational management and communication skills
- Previous experience managing an international development team as a Deputy Chief of Party preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Nationals of Kenya and especially women are strongly encouraged to apply.
KANCO is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). KANCO makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, Religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, or any other basis.
- A complete and current resume demonstrating the candidate’s qualifications and experience
- Resumes shall not exceed three pages in length and shall be in chronological order starting with most recent experience.
- Each CV should include a minimum of three current references (provide name and contact information of each reference).
How to apply
To apply, please write to the email@example.com and submit your application Letter, Curriculum Vitae and Testimonials by 20th November 2021.